Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 221 ]  [ Total: 224 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Photo Shop Toutorial

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dreamweaver Posted - 03/04/2007 : 7:33:51 PM
Hi Gentlemen,

As promised here is a indepth toutorial of how to add back grounds to you oictures using photoshop.

First for Terry, Jimmy, Ben, and all thre rest of you that mentioned the price of photoshop...Yes it's true the newer versions cost an arm and a leg however I use version 6.0.1 which I got off of the enternet for the low low price of FREE.

Step One:

Open Photoshop with the picture you want to edit.

Step Two:

Then chose the "Lasso" buttom from the tool tray. this is the second one down on the left bank of the tray.

Next begin to outline the areas you want to replace with the background.

This tool works by first placing the end of the lasso where you want to start and then click left mouse once, then move to your next point and click again and continue this till you get back tho the starting point at which time there will be a little circle that appears at the bottom of the lasso by the point which means you have a completed loop....click left again and the out line will begin to move.

Step Three:

place the mouse inside the area you just lassoed and click the RIGHT button and then chose "FILL" then chose to fill with the back ground color.

NOTE before you start set your back ground color to pink or any other bright color that is nowhere close to any colors in the original picture.. do this by right clicking on the back ground and selecting the colr you want.

Continue this for the entire area(s) you want to replace.

Step Four:

Click on the "Magic Wand" button second down on right bank of tool bar.

Then place mouse over any of the pink areas and right click then chose "color Range" an eye dropper will come up left click on the pink area to select pink and this will out line all the pink areas. (if for some reason it don't do all the pink then right click again and chose "Grow" or "Similar" till all the pink is out lined.

Step Five:

Now click on "File" then "Open" and chose the back ground picture you want to use.

NOTE both pictures MUST be the same size in pixles to look right so use your photo resizing program to achive this before you start.

Then click on the "Magic Wand" agin and right click in the middle of the picture and chose "Select All" this will out line the entire picture.

Now click on "EDIT" and chose "Copy". Then click the "Minnimize" button and bring the original picture back up make sure the area in pink is still circled.

Step Six:

Click on "Edit" and chose "Paste Into"

This will paste the back ground pictur behind the original with it showing through the original where the pink was.

Step Seven:

Now click on the first tool on the left side and
then right click on the sky part of the picture you just pasted in and then chose "Free Transform" this will put a box around the sky picture.

Now click and drag this box in any directions needed till the picture looks like you want it to look.

When you get it were you want it click on the "Magic Wand" again and this will pop up a box click "Apply"

Step Eight:

Now you want to save the picture, do this by clicking "File" then chose "Svae As"
NOTE DO NOT CLICK "sAVE" OR IT WILL REPLACE YOUR ORIGINAL PICTURE PERMINATLY.

Then chose a name for the new picture and then click the drop down for the "File Type" and click on JPG

Then click "Save" and then a JPG Options box will appear I set the "quality to 10 and Max and click on the "Progressive" radio button and chose 5 scans.

That's it in a nut shell it's pritty simple it just takes a little time to outline everything.

My suggestion for the outlining is to make sure when you outline something that you go slightly inside of the object you are out lining that way you get non of the colors you are removing.

Mike J
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
shadetreekid Posted - 03/18/2011 : 12:24:01 PM
Mike, I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 program installed in my computer. Can I get the same results you've achieved?
anubis51 Posted - 03/18/2011 : 11:30:00 AM
Hello all,

I have Paint Shop Pro (Version 5) which I have been using for a number of years - without updating.

It is a similar program to Photoshop, and from Mike's screenshots, it seems to have much the same layout and applications.

However, I have never been able to get my head around using the layer mask. All my attempts at removing a distracting background and replacing it with a blue sky, or some other scene have had to be manually and tediously done by hand, usually with mediocre results.

Here's a screenshot of the workspace.

Does anyone have any experience with PSP, and any tips on layer masking?

Many thanks.

John.

Rick Posted - 05/19/2007 : 09:56:41 AM
Barry, that looks wonderful. You're a quick learner.
Dreamweaver Posted - 05/19/2007 : 02:46:38 AM
Looks good Barry, I like the sky.

Mike J
bpate Posted - 05/19/2007 : 02:36:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamweaver

Thanks for the compliments I hope this helps you figure out this program and I wait to see your creations.

Mike J

Thanks Mike for this excellent tutorial. You ask to see our creations so here is my first attempt. I've had a play using Photoshop CS3 and in that have found a majic wand tool that automatically grabs the area, which saves quite a bit of time. I think I need to find a better picture of the sky but its all I had for now.

Dreamweaver Posted - 03/11/2007 : 7:32:24 PM
Christina, Yes please send it..
mikej@dreamweavertrains.com

Thanks

Mike J
Quinn222 Posted - 03/11/2007 : 1:12:41 PM
quote:

Christina, Thanks I'll give it a try.

It looks like there is as many steps to doing the mask as there is the way I do it it's just a little more forgiving and easier to fix problems.

I would really like to know haow you did the smoke though it seems to me that it would take forever to maks that.

And could you email me the smoke ready to be layered?

Mike J

It really is the same as what you were doing, it just is a bit more forgiving of mistakes and it's a little easier to make a soft edge.

As for the smoke it took me less than a minute. I did a very rough selection of some steam from an image I had of a steam loco, stuck it in the image and then made a layer mask. With a big soft brush I painted out all around the edges (not trying to be careful at all) and then I used grey (which gives you a transparent mask) and painted out a bit more. You can use channels to make very detailed selections of things like whisps of hair but it really isn't necessary for this. I'd be happy to send you the selection if you want but it's really just a lasso selection of steam.
Dreamweaver Posted - 03/11/2007 : 12:45:35 PM
Christina, Thanks I'll give it a try.

It looks like there is as many steps to doing the mask as there is the way I do it it's just a little more forgiving and easier to fix problems.

I would really like to know haow you did the smoke though it seems to me that it would take forever to maks that.

And could you email me the smoke ready to be layered?

Mike J
essodee Posted - 03/11/2007 : 12:11:53 PM
Wow, Thanks to both Mike and Christina for those excellent and very detailed tutorials. Both of them really demonstrate the wonderous possibilities that lie hidden in these software programs once you take the time to learn some of them.

This really creates a whole new realm of possibilities that are available only in the 'virtual' world. And since most of the way we all communicate with one another here on the forum is through photos, this is an incredible tool to have at our disposal.

Stevie O'
Quinn222 Posted - 03/11/2007 : 09:54:41 AM
quote:

Christina, How about a little tutorial on masking, and then I'll give it a try.

It's very similar to what you're already doing Mike, it just preserves the photo in the process. Here's a tutorial, it's a little rough since I did it in a hurry but I think it gives a good idea of how to do it. I posted it on my server since it has lots of large photos.

http://www.kinnetik.org/trains/mask/index.htm
Dreamweaver Posted - 03/11/2007 : 12:39:10 AM
Christina, How about a little tutorial on masking, and then I'll give it a try.

sounds good to me Jerry

Mike J
anbhurst Posted - 03/10/2007 : 10:46:28 AM
Mike, . .Thanks for the tutorial; I can see where I definitely need to spend some time here.

quote:

jerryglow Posted - 03/10/2007 : 10:31:48 AM
quote:

I now have this toutorial on my web site as well at http://www.dreamweavertrains.com/photoshophowto.htm

Mike J

Thanks for doing that. I "printed" the Forum one to a .PDF file to share with a non-member but can now point them straight to your site. In fact, I made a .PDF off your site to replace the one from the Forum.

Jerry
Dreamweaver Posted - 03/08/2007 : 8:19:45 PM
I now have this toutorial on my web site as well at http://www.dreamweavertrains.com/photoshophowto.htm

Mike J
FiatFan Posted - 03/08/2007 : 08:40:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by jerryglow

quote:
Originally posted by FiatFan

Here's a link to get PhotoShop 3.4 for free. It's about 3/4 of the way down the page.

http://www.vetusware.com/select-by/category/Other/?cat=9

Tom

Has anyone had success downloading this file? I started to and realized I had selected the wrong one so aborted the download. When I tried for the correct one, it told me I had exceeded the daily download limit and has oontinued to give me the same response every day since.

Jerry

I have downloaded it. It is on a very slow connection. Those wishing a copy of the file please contact me off line at fiatfan@frontiernet.net and I will provide you with a link to download it. After you extract the files, the serial number is located in a file called README.NTA on Disk one. Right click that file and open it with Notepad or Write and you will see the serial number required to install it.

Jerry, I sent you an e-mail with the link so you can download it.

Since it is abandonware, don't expect any support from Adobe. They may have information on their website.

Tom

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000