Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Michael Hohn Posted - 10/25/2014 : 9:53:52 PM
With its shorter days and days off, this time of the year tempts the modelmaker to start new projects. I try to resist temptation by beginning the new year with fewer unfinished projects on my desk.

One that has gone unfinished for too long is my model of a Central of Vermont boxcar, actually a modified BTS laser kit of a PRR 28' boxcar. Today it went through the paint shop.

Next step: Art Griffin decals.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bernd Posted - 09/17/2019 : 10:07:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bernd,

Thank you for the feedback.

The building next door looks interesting.

Mike

You're welcome. Always glad to help out if I can. More pictures posted of the coal dealer, plus four from Leroy, NY.

Bernd
Michael Hohn Posted - 09/17/2019 : 09:37:34 AM
Bill,

Excellent information and model. Thank you for posting the photo. I know if I use timbers for both the platform and access Iíll make sure to distinguish between the tightly assembled platform ones and the loose ones. Also, youíve emphasized the need to provide some air between the platform perimeter and surrounding frame, whatever materials I use.

Mike

Michael Hohn Posted - 09/17/2019 : 09:12:58 AM
Bernd,

Thank you for the feedback.

The building next door looks interesting.

Mike
Bill Gill Posted - 09/17/2019 : 09:11:31 AM
Mike, Here's a photo of a simple truck scale at the coal dealer on my layout. It's based on drawings I made of a HOWE SCALE (Rutland, VT) on a ferry dock.

It's the only photo I have, but can take more if it interests you.

The scale was housed in the little red shed in the center of the photo. The roof (covered with roofing paper) slants down toward the truck platform. The taller right side of the shed had a long narrow horizontal door that hung down to access and use the beam scale inside. Under the door was an enamel sign like this.

The model is still sitting above the unfinished ground in the photo. You can see the overall width of the platform and apron (tan) behind the army truck. This scale had a concrete apron around the truck platform that also served as the foundation for the scale shed plus a narrow strip in front of the tall side for the operator to stand on when adjusting the scale. I think the platform timbers were 3 x 8s.

I made a styrene base for the concrete apron and glued the timbers to a pair of styrene I beams. There are small gaps between the timbers and between the platform and the concrete apron all around so a viewer sees a bit of depth under the timbers when looking down at the scene.

Bernd Posted - 09/17/2019 : 08:03:09 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bernd,

Thank you very much! Youíre right that a lot is obscured. Correct me where you think Iím wrong, but I interpret what I see as
1. A metal frame, probably small beams of some sort, standing a little proud of surrounding dirt etc
2. A rim of concrete beveled slightly down to the ground
3. Iím guessing inside the framework is a thick plate as the platform for the scale, now much obscured by dirt etc
4. Between the scale and building, several loose planks covering and providing access to a pit holding the scale.

Yes, correct in all four observations.

quote:
I drove through Bergen in early July visiting my parentsí grave in Byron; my dad grew up in that area.

Mike

I remember you saying that you are familiar with the area. That's why I posted the pictures. The one's I posted are more relevant to the scale. I have more of the silos, silo loader and the building.

Bernd
Michael Hohn Posted - 09/16/2019 : 5:38:56 PM
Bernd,

Thank you very much! Youíre right that a lot is obscured. Correct me where you think Iím wrong, but I interpret what I see as
1. A metal frame, probably small beams of some sort, standing a little proud of surrounding dirt etc
2. A rim of concrete beveled slightly down to the ground
3. Iím guessing inside the framework is a thick plate as the platform for the scale, now much obscured by dirt etc
4. Between the scale and building, several loose planks covering and providing access to a pit holding the scale.

I drove through Bergen in early July visiting my parentsí grave in Byron; my dad grew up in that area.

Mike
Bernd Posted - 09/16/2019 : 4:05:10 PM
Mike,

I really like that gate. Nice job.

I posted some pictures of the Bergen coal dealer here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52072 There are a couple of pictures of their scale. May not be what you're looking for though.

Bernd
Michael Hohn Posted - 09/16/2019 : 09:57:51 AM
Dave and Horton, thank you for the suggestions. Actually, the office will function as the scale house. Thatís why I have the set of windows that face the wagon passageway.

Mike
Michael Hohn Posted - 09/16/2019 : 09:49:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Looks really good, Mike, and having the office door inside the yard makes sense.

Thanks Bill. Your comments and observations are helpful.

Mike
Michael Hohn Posted - 09/16/2019 : 09:46:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

I like the Fall tree..... In truth, I like it all. It's a great looking scene. A fabulous looking model. Too bad it's destined to serve as a backdrop to some fabulous wagons. Bu, at least it has a few moments as the Star.

Thank you, Bob. The trees are a little sparse of branches individually but itís the overall effect I am after.

The model might be the star for a while; I feel a pull from other projects.

Mike
Michael Hohn Posted - 09/16/2019 : 09:39:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Mike,

I was gonna suggest timber framing around a timber platform, but somebody beat me to it....

Pete
in Michigan

Great minds and all that, I guess. . .
bandman Posted - 09/15/2019 : 5:31:32 PM
Here is another kit that might work: http://www.builders-in-scale.com/bis/kit/610.html

Horton Monroe
Bill Gill Posted - 09/15/2019 : 3:48:35 PM
Looks really good, Mike, and having the office door inside the yard makes sense.
railman28 Posted - 09/15/2019 : 3:29:20 PM
I like the Fall tree..... In truth, I like it all. It's a great looking scene. A fabulous looking model. Too bad it's destined to serve as a backdrop to some fabulous wagons. Bu, at least it has a few moments as the Star.
deemery Posted - 09/15/2019 : 3:26:50 PM
This would work well as a scale house: http://besttrains.com/products_1047.html (I found one while cleaning up/organizing in the unfinished part of the basement. I had 2 of these kits, I used the other one as the gate house in my previous layout's mill canal scene.)

dave

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000