Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
30122 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  09:29:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thread is one of a series of threads intended to help RR-L Forum members who are also members of the NMRA and are working within the NMRA’s Achievement Program. This is not a thread to debate the pros and cons of either the NMRA or the Achievement Program. For a full explanation of the purpose of these threads, members should refer to this thread on the forum: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24676

This is one of the three certificates in the general area of Railroad Construction & Operation. We have a sizable group of RR-L members who really enjoy operations, and if they are also NMRA members, this AP category is right up their alley.

In broad strokes, someone trying to earn the Chief Dispatcher AP Certificate needs to accumulate 50 hours of operation on one or more model railroads that have having at least two mainline trains plus yard switching in simultaneous operation. Additionally, some system of freight and passenger car movements, including road switching, shall be used for controlling train activity.

For this category, there are five broad job areas delineated, and the applicant has to have at least ten hours of experience in three or more of the areas. One area where ten hours or more is required is as Dispatcher.

The five job areas are :

1. Engineer (through freight, passenger, or wayfreight)
2. Yardmaster (or station master)
3. Hostler
4. Towerman (or traffic manager,or road master)
5. Dispatcher

The specific job descriptions of for these and the rest of the requirements for the Chief Dispatcher Certificate can be found at this link: http://www.nmra.org/education/achievement/ap_dispatch.html

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

nhguy
Fireman

USA
4763 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  11:39:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My only hold back is the 'string line' graph. I haven't figured out how to do that on the computer. The only requirement I see with that is you have to show two trains 'meeting' if I'm not mistaken. Does anyone know how to do or can tell me how to do a string graph on the 'puter? Otherwise I would have sent this in a year ago.

Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.
Go to Top of Page

wvrr
Fireman

6305 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  12:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

I don't think it has to be done on the computer. You can just use graph paper, if you want. But, there is probably a way of doing it with MS Excel, if you really wanted to.

Chuck
Go to Top of Page

dave1905
Fireman

USA
1106 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  1:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nhguy

My only hold back is the 'string line' graph. I haven't figured out how to do that on the computer. The only requirement I see with that is you have to show two trains 'meeting' if I'm not mistaken. Does anyone know how to do or can tell me how to do a string graph on the 'puter? Otherwise I would have sent this in a year ago.

One of the most obscure requirements of all the AP certificates.

String graphs are fairly easy to do in Excel (if you are familiar with how it graphs things). I posted one on the Yahoo OpSig or Car Cards group files section. I think there are a couple variations in their files.

It can also be done manually. The idea is to make a grid. The vertical axis is the stations on your line. The horizontal axis is time. You take each train and plot the points where it arrives and departs a station. then you connect the points with a line. If you list your stations N to S on the vertical axis, then a southbound train will slope down from the upper left to the lower right. A northbound train will slope from the lower left to the upper right. Any time a train is stopped, the line will be horizontal. Opposing trains should have their lines cross at stations (where there are sidings.)

Dave H.

Iron men and wooden cars
Go to Top of Page

railmus
Fireman

Canada
1938 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2009 :  11:29:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Had to REEEAAAALLLYYY shrink this to get it to post! [:-banghead][:-banghead][:-banghead][:-banghead][:-banghead] so I hope it is readable!

This is part of my submission for the AP certificate.[:-bouncy][:-bouncy][:-bouncy]
Go to Top of Page

railmus
Fireman

Canada
1938 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  7:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was officially presented with my certificate today!! MANY thanks to MMR Ron Tuff of Hamilton.
(Five down and two to go!)

I happened to come upon this link from MMR Bill Acklands of Kitchener (now out west!)

Good info here: http://www.trainweb.org/strrailroad/disp.htm

Edited by - railmus on 11/29/2009 7:32:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

USA
645 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  7:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations John!

Another Chief Dispatcher - I need to finish up my paperwork and should have mine soon.

Great thread for the AP,

Eric Dervinis
Former NMRA Trustee 2000 - 2004
Go to Top of Page

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

USA
5879 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  7:44:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations John, I jeep saying one of these days I need to do this, but somethig else attracts my attention and off I go.

Which 2 do you have left before the MMR?
Go to Top of Page

Dutchman
Administrator

USA
30122 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  7:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, John! Like Tim, I'm interested in which two you still plan on doing.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3
Go to Top of Page

wvrr
Fireman

6305 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  8:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, John! You are almost there.

Chuck
Go to Top of Page

railmus
Fireman

Canada
1938 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2009 :  10:34:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Kerkhoff

Congratulations John, I jeep saying one of these days I need to do this, but somethig else attracts my attention and off I go.

Which 2 do you have left before the MMR?

Tim: "Scenery is about 95% done (had it prejudged) and "Cars". I will also do "Structures" for sure!
Go to Top of Page

CIOR
Section Hand

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  9:45:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit CIOR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congrats!
I've started down this road after some pushing.
I've just got to get all my stuff in order for the Dispatcher AP. I've got well over the 50 hours in all the forms! YIKES.

Currently I'm working on 2 others, Electrical and Civil, so tack on the Dispatcher.

http://candoindiana.com
and
http://www.trainweb.org/cior
Go to Top of Page

hunter48820
Fireman

USA
6117 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  10:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, you guys are starting to make me feel guilty!! I've got to get to work on the APs myself![:-eyebrows] Congrats John!!

Look out for #1, but don't step in #2!

Andy Keeney
Dewitt, MI
Go to Top of Page

railmus
Fireman

Canada
1938 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  3:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit railmus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The "fun" part is documenting as you go along. It is something you need to do for your layout anyways (especially dispatcher,electrical and scenery!!)

For Dispatcher I got signatures for over five years ago because my friends were "still around" (although one NMRA club member had passed away). Sometimes your friends can pass away suddenly and you have lost your "proof"???!!!

Get some kind of documentation done attesting to your time/hours in each category as soon as you can..
Go to Top of Page

railliar
Section Hand

95 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  8:37:21 PM  Show Profile  Send railliar a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nhguy

Bill

Go to Top of Page

railliar
Section Hand

95 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  8:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Send railliar a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
'string line' graph

Bill,

Albion Software has a string line program called "Schedular." I use it on the S&LS and would be happy to explain its use.

eric lundberg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000